Team Hong Kong 2018 Selection
The Committee for Team Hong Kong for the International Quidditch Association (“IQA”) World Cup 2018 (“the Committee”) is formed by three dedicated Hong Kong Quidditch organisers and players: Thomas Au, Keith Jones and Chris Lau Kwun Shing. The Committee will be solely responsible for deciding whether to send a Hong Kong National Team (“Team Hong Kong”) to the IQA World Cup 2018, and if decided to send one, selecting the 21 members of Team Hong Kong. The three Committee members are also making preparations for the establishment of a governing body of Quidditch in Hong Kong.
All the below selection criteria comply with the rules issued by the IQA. If you wish to dispute any information contained in this document, please send an email to [email protected].
To be eligible for playing for Hong Kong, one must be at least 16 years old by 30 June 2018.
To be eligible for playing for Hong Kong, one must also:
- Hold a valid Hong Kong Permanent Identity Card (“HK Permanent ID Card”); OR
- Hold a valid Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Passport (“HKSAR Passport”); OR
- Hold a valid British National (Overseas) Passport (“BN(O) Passport”); OR
- Have at least one parent who holds an HK Permanent ID Card or HKSAR Passport or BN(O) Passport; OR
- Have lived in Hong Kong for at least 3 years; OR
- Have played Quidditch only in Hong Kong; OR
- Have played in Hong Kong (and not their nation of citizenship) for at least the last international season (September 2017-present).
Only those who meet both the age requirement and at least one of the additional requirements are eligible for Team Hong Kong.
The composition of Team Hong Kong must meet the following criteria:
- Consists of at least 7 members holding a valid HK Permanent ID Card or HKSAR Passport or BN(O) Passport;
- Consists of at least 7 members who live in Hong Kong for at least 9 out of 12 months from 1 June 2017 to 31 May 2018 (“resident member”);
- Consists of 1 resident member for every 2 members holding a valid HK Permanent ID Card or HKSAR Passport or BN(O) Passport; and
- Consists of at least 7 players of one gender.
All interested persons are required to complete the online form (NOT the form inviting expression of interests released before) and answer all the questions contained therein. The Committee will be solely responsible for the selection based on the players’ ability, availability for pre-tournament trainings in Hong Kong and other factors deemed relevant by the Committee. The Committee will select a team complying with all the aforementioned criteria regarding eligibility and composition. Applicants will be given equal opportunities regardless of their race, religion, beliefs, ethnicity, gender, gender identity or sexual orientation. The decision of the Committee shall be final.
The Committee might select reserves for Team Hong Kong beyond the 21 selected members.
Interested persons should be certain about their availability for the IQA World Cup before applying.
Members should expect to pay for the expenses incurred in relation to the World Cup on their own, including their shares of registration fee, travelling costs and costs for sport equipment and jerseys. Members’ availability for the IQA World Cup should not be contingent on the sponsorships available.
The deadline for application is 23:59, 15 April 2018. No application will be accepted after the deadline.
The selection procedure for 2018 is not a representation for eligibility or selection criteria for future years. The Committee (or the governing body of Quidditch in Hong Kong formed later) reserves the right to impose stricter requirements regarding eligibility and/or composition for future years.
Please direct all enquiries to [email protected].
All interested persons are required to complete the online form (NOT the form inviting expression of interests released before) and answer all the questions contained therein. The deadline for application is 23:59, 15 April 2018.